Since its establishment, the Corporation has made tremendous achievements:- .
- The Corporation has established 3,566 hectares of tea,out of which 2,575 hectares is mature tea while 991 hectares is young tea under 5 years.
- It has also established 5,235 hectares of assorted tree species which have acted as a buffer and have successfully stopped human encroachment into the forestland. The area under fuelwood plantation is 4,000 hectares and 1,235 hectares is under indigenous tree species.
- The Corporation has recorded substantial growth in tea production and processing as well as creation of employment. Green leaf production has increased from 3 million kilograms in the 1990s to the current 26 million kilograms annually. It is projected that in the next few years, green leaf production will surpass the 30 million kilogram mark.
- Currently, the corporation has a workforce of over 460 employees including the staff in is subsidiary Kipchabo Tea Factory.
- Currently the organization engages between 8,000 and 12,000 workers on casual basis in its tea plantations depending on the season and pays an average of Ksh 120 million annually as wages to the local communities in the 18 zones where it operates.
- As part of making the Corporation sustainable through value addition, the Corporation has constructed its first tea factory at Kipchabo in Nandi County which started operations in October 2010. Preparations for construction of the second factory at Gatitu in Kirinyaga County have commenced.
- The increased green leaf production has enabled the Corporation to become self sustaining, thus Nyayo Tea Zones Corporation operates as a profitable organization in line with its mandate as a commercial state organisation.
- The Corporation has undertaken various community initiatives in the zones aimed at involving communities living adjacent to the forests in conservation and income generation activities. The Corporation supports income generation activities so that the communities can become custodians of forest protection instead of being agents of destruction. The projects funded include bee keeping, dairy farming, fish farming, poultry, fruit farming, sericulture and dairy goat farming.
Performance Contracting Milestones
Nyayo Tea Zones Development Corporation has proved to be a corporate success story, having emerged as the most consistent top performing state corporation in the public service performance contracting evaluations.
- The Corporation was ranked the Second Best Performing State Corporation in the Government Performance Evaluation results in the 2006/2007 Financial Year.
- In the 2008/09 Financial Year, the Corporation was ranked the Best Performing State Corporation in the country.
- In the Performance Contracting Evaluations for the 2009/2010 and 2010/2011 financial years, the Corporation emerged as the 2nd and 3rd best performing state corporation respectively.
- In the Seven Fundamentals of Institutional Management evaluations by the Ministry of Agriculture, the Corporation was ranked the best in Expenditure Control in the 2009/2010 Financial Year.
- The Corporation attained International Quality Management Systems – i.e. ISO 9001:2008 Certification(i.e the International Quality Management Standards) and has retained the certificate over the years.